Suspect Killed in RPSO Standoff - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Suspect Killed in RPSO Standoff

Posted: Updated:

RAPIDES PARISH, La. - The Rapides Parish Sheriff is talking about the standoff his deputies were involved in Wednesday night.

It ended with the suspect shot dead by deputies.

News Channel 5's Kathleen Witte spoke with the sheriff and stopped by the scene to find out more.

Residents of this community on Bayou Rapides Road say it's a quiet neighborhood of friends.

But Wednesday night, an incident made some noise. Rapides Parish deputies say Robert Vaughn, Sr. barricaded himself inside his house near the corner of Cooper Road, after his son called 911, reporting that his father had a gun, and had fired it at a family member.

Sheriff William Earl Hilton, RPSO: "We had our swat team sent to the scene. Once we got there, we made the perimeter safe. We got all of the people out of the neighboring houses, as a way to make the area safe."

That was 7 p.m., the beginning of a four-hour standoff. Deputies say they began communicating with Vaughn.

Sheriff Hilton: "We tried every way in the world to talk the man out of the house peacefully, to lay his arm down, and not make the situation worse than what it was."

Around 11:40 p.m., deputies say Vaughn finally came outside, but they said he still had the handgun with him.

Sheriff Hilton: "Deputies repeated many , many times, put your gun down, show me your hands, show me your hands, put the gun down. Well instead of dropping the weapon, he made a gesture and pointed it at the officers. And at that point they didn't have any other choice but to go ahead and take him down."

Sheriff Hilton says Robert Vaughn, Sr. was shot twice, and killed.

Sheriff Hilton: "We in law enforcement, we surmise what probably was going on with the man, but he's the only one that will ever know. We will do toxicology tests on the man to find out what was in his system at the time."

Neighbors of the Vaughn family weren't willing to speak on camera, but they did tell us it's a close-knit community, hardly the kind of place you'd expect this to happen.

Sheriff Hilton says, he wishes it didn't have to.

Sheriff Hilton: "We did everything that law enforcement could do to not let this thing escalate to the point that it did. But it did. And we're very sorry that it happened the way that it did."

Sheriff Hilton tells us no officers are on leave at this point, but the investigation is ongoing.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.