Ariel Castro's son say life sentence 'appropriate' - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Ariel Castro's son say life sentence 'appropriate'

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Tony Dejak). Ariel Castro looks over at the prosecutors table during court proceedings Friday, July 26, 2013, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak). Ariel Castro looks over at the prosecutors table during court proceedings Friday, July 26, 2013, in Cleveland.

CLEVELAND (AP) - The son of the Cleveland man who admitted kidnapping, raping and enslaving three women for about a decade said Monday his father belongs in prison for the rest of his life.

In an interview on NBC's "Today" show, Anthony Castro also said he has nothing to say to his father, Ariel Castro, and will not visit him in prison.

Fifty-three-year-old Ariel Castro is expected to be sentenced Thursday to life in prison plus 1,000 years after pleading guilty last week to 937 counts in a deal that spared him the death penalty.

"I think it's the best possible sentence," Anthony Castro said. "I think if he really can't control his impulses and he really doesn't have any value for human life the way this case has shown, then behind bars is where he belongs for the rest of his life."

Anthony Castro, 31, said his father was violent, and Anthony often cried himself to sleep because he had welts on his legs from beatings. Still, he said, he wasn't prepared to hear the details of what his father did to the women.

"I was shocked because of the magnitude of such a crime," Anthony Castro said. "I don't think I could ever imagine anyone doing that that, let alone to find out it was my own flesh and blood, my father."

Ariel Castro's attorneys didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Monday.

The three women disappeared between 2002 and 2004 when they were 16, 14 and 20 years old. They escaped in May when one of them kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help.

One of the victims, 27-year-old Amanda Berry, made her first public appearance on Saturday night when she was invited on stage by rapper Nelly during an outdoor concert in Cleveland.

Another victim, Gina DeJesus, spoke to a Cleveland television station briefly on Sunday, thanking volunteers who are building a 6-foot privacy fence around her house.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • *UPDATE* Missing juvenile female in Alexandria FOUND

    *UPDATE* Missing juvenile female in Alexandria FOUND

    Thursday, April 24 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-04-24 22:31:25 GMT
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - The Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing juvenile. Gabrielle Dubroc is described as a white female, 14 years of age, with brown hair, brown eyes, and is 5’2” tall.More >>
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - The Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing juvenile. Gabrielle Dubroc is described as a white female, 14 years of age, with brown hair, brown eyes, and is 5’2” tall.More >>
  • New "Swatting" game causes massive police response

    New "Swatting" game causes massive police response

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:57:42 GMT
    LONG BEACH, N.Y. (CBS News) - Police descended upon a home in Long Island, N.Y. Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a man who said he had shot several of his relatives inside the house.More >>
    LONG BEACH, N.Y. (CBS News) - Police descended upon a home in Long Island, N.Y. Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a man who said he had shot several of his relatives inside the house.More >>
  • Woman allegedly attacked boyfriend with ax, went after neighbors

    Woman allegedly attacked boyfriend with ax, went after neighbors

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:50 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:50:25 GMT
    LUNENBURG, Mass. (CBS News) - A Massachusetts woman has been arrested after she allegedly attacked her boyfriend with an ax before also going after the couple across the street, reports CBS Boston.More >>
    LUNENBURG, Mass. (CBS News) - A Massachusetts woman has been arrested after she allegedly attacked her boyfriend with an ax before also going after the couple across the street, reports CBS Boston.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.