FBI releases official statement on Tensas Tragedy - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

FBI releases official statement on Tensas Tragedy shooter


MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - The Federal Bureau of Investigations issued an official statement on Fuaed Abdo Ahmed Friday in response to a KNOE 8 News inquiry.

The FBI confirms they interviewed Ahmed while in Yemen in April of this year.  Ahmed's family thought that he was missing or had been possibly kidnapped.  

When reentering the country in June, Ahmed was detained at Los Angeles International Airport by the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI.  He was questioned about a picture on his personal Facebook page of him holding an AK-47.  In that interview, Ahmed made comments that he believed there was a device in his head.  He told DHS officials that he was hearing voices and contemplating suicide.

In the interview he disavowed ties to terrorism.

While in Los Angeles, Ahmed was mentally evaluated for multiple days.  During this time, the FBI found no links to any criminal activity.

LSU police, where Ahmed had been a student, were alerted of the situation.

Ahmed walked into the Tensas State Bank branch in St. Joseph on August 13 and took three  hostage in the bank.  He killed two of the hostages, Laden McDaniel and Jay Warbington. Patricia White was released unharmed.

Louisiana State Police have said that their report on the investigation would take about a month to release.

Read the Full statement here:

Fuaed Abdo Ahmed, a 20-year-old native of California and former Louisiana State University (LSU) student and a resident of Louisiana, has been identified as the individual responsible for the tragic events at the Tensas State Bank in St. Joseph, Louisiana.

In April of 2013, the FBI interviewed Ahmed in Yemen -- where he was visiting at the time -- after his family had reported him missing and possibly kidnapped. During the interview, Ahmed denied being kidnapped and said he had left home voluntarily. Ahmed indicated that he believed a device had been planted his head that caused him to hear voices, and he had at times thought of killing himself but would never hurt others.

In June of 2013, after being notified that Ahmed was returning to the United States, DHS interviewed Ahmed at LAX airport; an FBI JTTF task force officer was present for the interview. He was interviewed because DHS had received a report about a Facebook photo of Ahmed holding an AK-47 while he was visiting Yemen. According to the report, Facebook also contained comments about Ahmed believing a device had been implanted in his head and that he was hearing voices and contemplating suicide. During the interview, Ahmed disavowed ties to criminal activity or terrorism. Ahmed was carrying notes stating that a microphone device had been implanted in his head, and that he was hearing voices and high-pitched sounds. The notes also described plans to get assistance to identify the person responsible for the device, and a plan to threaten suicide in a police station if he could not get assistance. The FBI checked relevant databases and found no record of criminal activity or other derogatory information. After the interview, local LA authorities conducted an independent evaluation of Ahmed and then took him to a medical facility for a multi-day mental evaluation.

The FBI briefed the LSU Police Department and the Los Angeles Fusion Center concerning Ahmed after his interview, and both entities issued state-wide law enforcement bulletins describing Ahmed's interview and statements.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.