Activity in the Tropics - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Activity in the Tropics

Posted: Updated:

 Friday, August 31

9:10am

In the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean, there are a couple areas of interest that we are monitoring for further development in the Atlantic Basin.

Cloudiness, shower and thunderstorm activity that is associated with a Tropical Wave located about 700 miles East of the Lesser Antilles remains disorganized. This disturbance will continue moving to the West. It will enter a region where upper-level winds are not favorable for development and any organization will be slow to occur.
This system has a LOW chance (<10%) of becoming a Tropical Cyclone during the next 48 hours and a continued LOW chance (20%) of becoming a Tropical Cyclone during the next 5 days.

A Broad area of low pressure associated with a Tropical wave has slowed down and portions of it are still located over the western coast of Africa. Environmental conditions appear conducive for development and this system has the potential to become a Tropical Depression during the next couple of days when the low moves between the west coast of Africa and the Cape Verde Islands. After that time, conditions are expected to become less favorable for continued development as this disturbance moves WNW over the Eastern Atlantic. This system has a MEDIUM chance (40%) of becoming a Tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours and a HIGH chance (60%) of becoming a Tropical Cyclone During the next 5 days.

Elsewhere, development is not expected during the next 48 hours.

For a continued look into the tropics, follow the link below to the First Alert Hurricane Center.

 

http://www.kalb.com/category/187198/hurricane-center

 

~DEW
Meteorologist Dorrell Wenninger



Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.