Komen Team Spotlight: Walker Automotive - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Komen Team Spotlight: Walker Automotive

Posted: Updated:

ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - In honor of the fourth annual Komen Cenla Race for the Cure, we take a look back at how it began and how it's coming along this year.

In 2010, a small group of dedicated Cenla residents wouldn't give up on their dream of hosting a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

 

The goal was to get a Komen race here, so we could raise money and begin to build awareness," says Lawrence Searcy, operations director at Walker Automotive in Alexandria and race chairman for Komen Cenla. "Pushed it and pushed it and pushed it. They finally couldn't take any more phone calls from us, and went ahead and let us have the race."

Searcy was one of those who made that dream come true. For him, it was personal.

My wife, at the age of 35, was diagnosed with breast cancer," Searcy says. "And amazingly, just a couple of months after that, my mother was diagnosed. So I had the double whammy."

Now, three years later, the Komen Cenla Race for the Cure draws more than 5,000 breast cancer survivors and supporters to Downtown Alexandria on race day.

"And it has been tremendously successful," says Searcy. "We've donated a bunch of money back."

Searcy's company, Walker Automotive, is as involved this year as ever.

"Every year here at Walker, the excitement really picks up," says Will Godfrey, the new car for Buick and Mitsubishi at Walker Automotive. "There's pink in the air. We have pink lights, pink balloons, we think pink. It's just the excitement that we as a group and as a team get together and back a great organization."

But it's not just about going pink or even just about running the race. Lawrence Searcy says, it's the fundraising that really counts.

"We're asking each team member of every team to go out and get ten dollars from ten people," says Searcy. "That's a very easy thing to do. Because we know that 75 percent of the money we raise will stay right here in Central Louisiana, and then the other 25 percent goes to that all important research goal."

Because you never know when you--or your loved one--might need the help.

If you think it doesn't touch you, just wait," Searcy says. "It will."

To get involved in the 2013 Komen Cenla Race for the Cure, click here

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • *UPDATE* Missing juvenile female in Alexandria FOUND

    *UPDATE* Missing juvenile female in Alexandria FOUND

    Thursday, April 24 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-04-24 22:31:25 GMT
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - The Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing juvenile. Gabrielle Dubroc is described as a white female, 14 years of age, with brown hair, brown eyes, and is 5’2” tall.More >>
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - The Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing juvenile. Gabrielle Dubroc is described as a white female, 14 years of age, with brown hair, brown eyes, and is 5’2” tall.More >>
  • New "Swatting" game causes massive police response

    New "Swatting" game causes massive police response

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:57:42 GMT
    LONG BEACH, N.Y. (CBS News) - Police descended upon a home in Long Island, N.Y. Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a man who said he had shot several of his relatives inside the house.More >>
    LONG BEACH, N.Y. (CBS News) - Police descended upon a home in Long Island, N.Y. Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a man who said he had shot several of his relatives inside the house.More >>
  • Woman allegedly attacked boyfriend with ax, went after neighbors

    Woman allegedly attacked boyfriend with ax, went after neighbors

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:50 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:50:25 GMT
    LUNENBURG, Mass. (CBS News) - A Massachusetts woman has been arrested after she allegedly attacked her boyfriend with an ax before also going after the couple across the street, reports CBS Boston.More >>
    LUNENBURG, Mass. (CBS News) - A Massachusetts woman has been arrested after she allegedly attacked her boyfriend with an ax before also going after the couple across the street, reports CBS Boston.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.