Suit settled in death of man infected by amoeba - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Suit settled in death of man infected by amoeba

Posted: Updated:

 

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The parents of a St. Bernard Parish man whose death in 2011 was linked to a rare brain-eating amoeba have settled their lawsuit against the manufacturers of two household devices that they blamed for their son's deadly infection.

Settlement terms weren't disclosed in a federal judge's order that dismissed the wrongful death suit on Oct. 15.

Last year, Jeffrey Cusimano's parents sued NeilMed Pharmacauticals Inc., maker of a "neti pot" that the 28-year-old used to clean his sinuses with water. They also sued Rheem Manufacturing Co., which made a water heater in his home.

Their suit claims defects in both devices allowed Cusimano to become infected by Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that recently was found in St. Bernard Parish's water system.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.