November trial date set for Boston Marathon bombings - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

November trial date set for Boston Marathon bombings

Posted: Updated:
Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, charged with using a weapon of mass destruction in the bombings on April 15, 2013, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  AP Photo Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, charged with using a weapon of mass destruction in the bombings on April 15, 2013, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. AP Photo

BOSTON, Mass. (CBS) - A judge has set a November trial date for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Judge George O'Toole Jr. said Wednesday in U.S. District Court that he has set the trial for Nov. 3.

Several of the 260 people injured in the terrorist attack are in the courtroom for the hearing. Tsarnaev is not.

His lawyers had asked for a trial date no earlier than September 2015. Prosecutors want the trial this autumn.

Prosecutors allege that Tsarnaev, then 19, and his 26-year-old brother, ethnic Chechens from Russia who had lived in the Boston area for about a decade, built and planted two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line of the marathon in April to retaliate against the U.S. for its military action in Muslim countries. The brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, died in a shootout with police during a getaway attempt days after the bombing.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was wounded but escaped on foot and was later found hiding in a boat parked in a yard in a Boston suburb. Authorities have said he wrote about his motivation for the bombing on the inside of the boat.

"The US Government is killing our innocent civilians," ''I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished," and "We Muslims are one body, you hurt one you hurt us all," he allegedly wrote.

The bombings stunned the nation during one of Boston's most celebrated events as runners crossed the finish line and friends, families and spectators were gathered to cheer them on.

Prosecutors announced last month they will seek the death penalty against Russian-born Tsarnaev, who has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal counts.

Killed in the bombings were: Martin Richard, 8, of Boston; Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford; and Lu Lingzi, 23, a Boston University graduate student from Shenyang, China. At least 16 others lost limbs.

Tsarnaev also is charged in the slaying of an MIT police officer and the carjacking of a motorist during the brothers' getaway attempt.

© 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • MH17 family living in 'hell beyond hell' after losing three kids

    MH17 family living in 'hell beyond hell' after losing three kids

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:23:40 GMT
    Siblings Evie, Mo and Otis Maslin died when the Malaysia Airlines jetliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday. (Courtesy of Maslin Family)Siblings Evie, Mo and Otis Maslin died when the Malaysia Airlines jetliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday. (Courtesy of Maslin Family)
    (NBC News) Parents who lost three young children and their grandfather when Flight MH17 was shot down by pro-Putin rebels revealed that they now "live in a hell beyond hell." More >>
    (NBC News) Parents who lost three young children and their grandfather when Flight MH17 was shot down by pro-Putin rebels revealed that they now "live in a hell beyond hell." 
    More >>
  • APD: Weapons/Narcotics arrest

    APD: Weapons/Narcotics arrest

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:27:53 GMT
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) -- On July 22, 2014, at 1:00 AM, APD Officers were dispatched to the 700 Block of Everett Street in reference to an assault with a firearm.More >>
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) -- On July 22, 2014, at 1:00 AM, APD Officers were dispatched to the 700 Block of Everett Street in reference to an assault with a firearm.More >>
  • Tennessee man accused of threatening to kill Obama

    Tennessee man accused of threatening to kill Obama

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 2:52 PM EDT2014-07-23 18:52:07 GMT
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A man left profanity-filled voicemails with Tennessee's homeland security office threatening to kill President Barack Obama and other officials, saying in one that he would "light Nashville up," according to court documents.More >>
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A man left profanity-filled voicemails with Tennessee's homeland security office threatening to kill President Barack Obama and other officials, saying in one that he would "light Nashville up," according to court documents.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.