Graco adds more than 403,000 child seats to recall - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Graco adds more than 403,000 child seats to recall

Posted: Updated:

DETROIT, Mich. (AP) - Graco Children's Products has added more than 403,000 child seats to last month's recall of 3.8 million to replace faulty harness buckles.

But the added seats won't end a dispute with the U.S. government's road safety watchdog. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration still wants Graco to add 1.8 million infant seats to the recall because they have the same buckles.

Buckles can get gummed up by food and drinks, making it difficult to remove children. In some cases parents have had to cut harnesses to get their children out. The agency says the problem increases the risk of injuries in emergencies.

Graco said in a letter to the agency that it found additional toddler and harnessed booster seats that should be recalled.

The 403,222 seats added to the recall include 2006 through 2014 Argos 70 Elite, Ready Ride, Step 2, My Ride 65 with Safety Surround, My Size 70, Head Wise 70 with Safety Surround, Nautilus 3-in-1, Nautilus Plus, and Smart Seat with Safety Surround, according to NHTSA documents.

In its letter to NHTSA, Graco said it didn't include the infant seats because they are used differently than the toddler seats, and because in an emergency, an adult can remove the whole seat from the car rather than unlatch the buckle.

"Graco looks forward to further discussions with the agency to resolve any remaining issues relating to those additional car seats," the letter said.

Atlanta-based Graco, a division of Newell Rubbermaid Inc., has until March 20 to explain why last month's recall didn't include infant seats.

A NHTSA spokesman wouldn't comment and referred a reporter to the agency's previous statements about why seven rear-facing infant seat models should be recalled.

The recall, now at 4.2 million, is the fourth-largest child seat recall in American history. If the infant seats are added, it would be the largest such recall.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Tioga RPSO detectives make arrest in aggravated burglary

    Tioga RPSO detectives make arrest in aggravated burglary

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 12:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 16:15:57 GMT
    (KALB News Channel 5) - On September 15, 2014 at approximately 11:56 a.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office deputies from the Tioga Sub-station responded to the 3200 block of Rigolette Road in Tioga in reference to a burglary that had occurred sometime in the early morning hours.More >>
    (KALB News Channel 5) - On September 15, 2014 at approximately 11:56 a.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office deputies from the Tioga Sub-station responded to the 3200 block of Rigolette Road in Tioga in reference to a burglary that had occurred sometime in the early morning hours.More >>
  • 11 states confirm Enterovirus D68 cases

    11 states confirm Enterovirus D68 cases

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:28 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:28:04 GMT
    (CNN) -- Since mid-August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed 104 cases of Enterovirus D68 in 10 states: Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri and New York. Another state, Montana, also has one confirmed case, a spokesman for the state's public health department tells CNN.More >>
    (CNN) -- Since mid-August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed 104 cases of Enterovirus D68 in 10 states: Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri and New York. Another state, Montana, also has one confirmed case, a spokesman for the state's public health department tells CNN.More >>
  • RPSO investigates Boyce electrocution

    RPSO investigates Boyce electrocution

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:29 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:29:40 GMT
    BOYCE, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - At approximately 2:00 p.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office received a call from the 911 Center in reference to two subjects being electrocuted in a field they were working in off of LA Highway 1200 near Boyce.More >>
    BOYCE, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - At approximately 2:00 p.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office received a call from the 911 Center in reference to two subjects being electrocuted in a field they were working in off of LA Highway 1200 near Boyce.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.