Vance McAllister makes first trip back to Cenla after scandal - KALB-TV News Channel 5 & CBS 2

Vance McAllister makes first trip back to Cenla after scandal

Posted: Updated:
ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) -- Congressman Vance McAllister made his first trip back to Central Louisiana since video emerged of him kissing a staffer last month. 

The congressman has laid low since the scandal. But, Monday he addressed it head on.

"I said my apology and I sincerely meant it," said Congressman Vance McAllister (R-District 5). "I never intended on disappointing anyone."

Congressman Vance McAllister begged for forgiveness from his family and his constituents Monday morning at a luncheon hosted by the Central Louisiana Chamber of Commerce.

"It's amazing how things work out when you realize you're out of control, what you realize is most important to you and what you're able to gain back and move forward," he said. "And, how focused you can be whenever you get your mind clear."

McAllister says he's now focused on the future - moving on from the political scandal of being caught on camera kissing a woman who's not his wife and moving the 5th district forward. The congressman explained why resigning was never an option. 

"I went through this before, me and Eric Cantor had a conversation," he said. "Me and the speaker of the house had a conversation. The conversation that was portrayed to the media was not the conversation me and Eric had. He did say, why would I want to put myself through it for the next eight months if I didn't intend on running? My simple statement was I was not going to leave the 5th district voiceless for the second time in a term."

McAllister's wife, Kelly, and their young daughter joined him as he addressed the press and the chamber. Mrs. McAllister says she continues to stand by her husband.

"It's been crazy," said Kelly McAllister. "I'm behind him 100% and whatever decision he makes. I will continue to be behind him."

As for if McAllister plans to run again in November, he says he probably wont, but he's not exactly ruling it out 100%.

"To say that I'm 100% sure, I would never box myself in corner," he said. "I can tell you my intent is not to run for reelection."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • New mom's twin girls keep her going after paralyzing accident

    New mom's twin girls keep her going after paralyzing accident

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:03 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:03:32 GMT
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) Just two months after having twin baby girls, 28-year-old Jennifer Eding was in a car accident that left her paralyzed from the chest down.More >>
    ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB News Channel 5) Just two months after having twin baby girls, 28-year-old Jennifer Eding was in a car accident that left her paralyzed from the chest down.More >>
  • Tioga RPSO detectives make arrest in aggravated burglary

    Tioga RPSO detectives make arrest in aggravated burglary

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 12:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 16:15:57 GMT
    (KALB News Channel 5) - On September 15, 2014 at approximately 11:56 a.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office deputies from the Tioga Sub-station responded to the 3200 block of Rigolette Road in Tioga in reference to a burglary that had occurred sometime in the early morning hours.More >>
    (KALB News Channel 5) - On September 15, 2014 at approximately 11:56 a.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office deputies from the Tioga Sub-station responded to the 3200 block of Rigolette Road in Tioga in reference to a burglary that had occurred sometime in the early morning hours.More >>
  • RPSO investigates Boyce electrocution

    RPSO investigates Boyce electrocution

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:29 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:29:40 GMT
    BOYCE, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - At approximately 2:00 p.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office received a call from the 911 Center in reference to two subjects being electrocuted in a field they were working in off of LA Highway 1200 near Boyce.More >>
    BOYCE, La. (KALB News Channel 5) - At approximately 2:00 p.m., Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office received a call from the 911 Center in reference to two subjects being electrocuted in a field they were working in off of LA Highway 1200 near Boyce.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KALB. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.