Your Hurricane Laura resource blog
Check back for more updates
(KALB) - News Channel 5 and the First Alert Storm Team are working to keep you informed this week during our tropical weather coverage. Check back for more updates as they become available. (To report a closure, please email email@example.com)
RAPIDES PARISH CURFEW for BOTH THURS and FRI nights from 9pm - 6am.
Gov. Edwards announced that there have been 4 deaths in Louisiana due to the storm in Vernon, Jackson, and Acadia Parishes.
KALB LIVE FEED:
WAFB LIVE FEED (BATON ROUGE):
SCHOOL / DAYCARE CLOSURES DUE TO WEATHER:
- Achievable Dreams Christian Academy - Closed Thursday, August 27 and Friday, August 28.
- Alpine Christian School - August 27 and 28
- All Vernon Parish schools - August 26, 27, and 28
- All NSU offices on campuses in Natchitoches, Alexandria, Leesville and Shreveport - August 26 (starting at noon) - August 28
- Alexandria Country Day School - Closed Thursday, August 27 and Friday, August 28.
- Avoyelles Parish Public Schools - Closed for the week (Virtual/Hybrid schools will resume on Tuesday)
- Bright Beginnings “A Children’s Enrichment Center” - Closed Thursday, August 27
- CLTCC - August 26-28
- Diocese of Alexandria schools - Closed Thursday, August 27 and Friday, August 28.
- Evangeline Parish Public Schools - Closed Friday
- Faith Training Christian Academy (Leesville) August 26 and 27
- Grant Parish Public Schools - Closed Friday August 28
- Heavenly Care Child Development Center 1,2 and 3 - Closed Thursday, August 27
- Kollege Kamp - Closed Thursday, August 27
- Louisiana College - August 26-August 28
- LSUA - Closed - school officials are assessing the damage
- LSUE campus - August 26 - August 30
- Rapides Parish Public Schools - Closed on Thursday, August 27. Friday, August 28 is a holiday.
- Foundations Christian Learning Center - August 27 and August 28
- Red River Charter Academy - August 27 and August 28
- Lil Red Wagon of Cenla both Thursday and Friday
- No Senior Meals will be served Friday, August 28. Will resume Monday, August 31.
- All Rapides Parish Library locations will remain closed for the rest of the week. Safe curbside pick-up will resume on Monday, August 31, 2020.
- Boyce Tower Road in the Maurepas Swamp Wildlife Management Area has been closed due to potential weather impacts from Hurricane Laura.
- CENLA Area Agency on Aging - No Senior Meals will be served on Thursday. A decision will be made later about Friday.
- From Avoyelles Parish (Waste Connection): After having a conference call this morning (Tuesday), it was decided to continue work tomorrow (Wednesday) but will shut down Thursday and Friday due to the safety concerns with the hurricane. The biggest municipalities, Bunkie and Marksville, have been picked up once this week. We will not be able to catch these days up.
- CHRISTUS Cabrini Surgery Center - Closed Thursday and Friday
- Louisiana Eye and Laser - All locations to be closed on Thursday, August 27.
- Rapides Physical Therapy - Closed on Thursday, August 27.
- Tulane Doctors in Alexanria on August 27.
- The Headache Clinic of Cenla - closed August 27 (Friday to be determined)
- AFCO industries - closed at 10 p.m. on August 26 and will reopen on August 28
- Hematology Oncology Life Center - August 28
- Food Bank of Central Louisiana - August 27
- The Alexandria City Courthouse will close at 2 p.m. on August 26 and remain closed through August 27. (Friday to be determined.)
- Pilgrim’s Plant in Natchitoches plans to resume operations on Friday.
- All Y-Not Stop kitchens will stop cooking by 6 p.m. on Wed. All Y-Not Stop locations will close by 7 p.m. on Wed. Locations will reopen when it is safe to do so.
- Rhodes Pediatric Clinic - closed August 27
- Rapides Regional locations: Rapides Outpatient Center - Closed Thursday and reopen Friday / Rapides Day Surgery – Closed Thursday and reopen Friday / Rapides Cancer Center – Closed Thursday and reopen Friday / Rapides Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab – Closed Thursday and reopen Friday / HP Long Clinics – Closed Thursday and will reopen Friday / All Rapides Urgent Care locations - Closed Thursday and will reopen Friday / Rapides Women’s and Children’s Hospital Pediatric Specialty Clinic - Closed Thursday / Rapides Fitness Center – Will close Wednesday at 6 p.m. and reopen Friday morning at the usual time. Rapides Regional Medical Center’s Emergency Department will remain open. All other hospital entrances will close at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. One visitor will be allowed per patient during storm lockdown, but must be inside the hospital by 5:30 p.m. today. We will reopen campus entrances Thursday as weather permits. We encourage the community to call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
- Freedman Clinic of Internal Medicine, LLP - closed August 27 - August 28
- ATRANS bus service will stop at 2 p.m. Wednesday. There will be no bus service Thursday. Service will resume Friday if possible.
- Alexandria City offices will close at 3 p.m. Wednesday and will be closed Thursday. Operations are expected to resume Friday.
- No trash pickup in Alexandria on Thursday. Thurs and Friday regular trash pickup will be on Friday.
- Cenla Heart Specialists - closed Thursday
- Rapides Pediatric Day Health - closed Thursday
- Some of Cleco’s customer service offices closed Wednesday and some will be closed all day Thursday, Aug. 27, as part of the company’s storm preparations for Hurricane Laura. Cleco has 13 customer service offices across the state. You can visit Cleco’s website for bill payment options.
- Alexandria Animal Clinic - closed Thursday
- The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces that a portion of I-10 is now closed due to the imminent arrival of Hurricane Laura. I-10 eastbound is closed at the Texas/Louisiana state line, and I-10 westbound is closed west of the Atchafalaya Basin. To detour the closure and avoid undrivable conditions, motorists should use U.S 61, I-55, and I-59 and travel north to connect with I-20.
- HWY 71 North and South heading through Cheneyville.
- Avoyelles Parish Municipalities with the exception of Mansura and the unincorporated areas of Avoyelles Parish will have a curfew starting at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26 until Friday, August 28 time depending on damage in the communities. This curfew will be enforced for the safety of citizens and first responders due to possible strong winds, heavy rains, downed trees and power outages or any flooding which can cause water to enter structures!! Please go get your food & water for three days to assure that you will not have to be in these conditions before this. This curfew is not for essential workers, that are required to go to work.
- Ruston from 7pm Thursday - 7am Friday
- Rapides Parish BOTH Thurs and Fri nights from 9pm - 6am
- Glenmora from 9pm - 6am (both Thurs and Friday nights)
- The Rapides Parish Coliseum is only a registration site for hurricane shelter.
- Avoyelles Parish - Mary Bethune Youth Center on 551 Martin Luther King Drive in Marksville.
- The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development recommends motorists use northbound routes such as I-49, US 61, or I-55 to reach I-20 west to avoid severe weather expected on I-10 related to Hurricane Laura in the western part of the state. Motorists may use 511 to determine the best northbound route to take. Before traveling, motorists are encouraged to check www.511la.org or dial 511 from their telephone for the latest on roadway conditions and incidents. Out-of-state travelers can access the system by calling 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511).
- Click here for the latest from KALB’s First Alert Storm Center.
- KALB Weather Facebook Page
- Follow Tom Konvicka on Facebook
- Follow Nick Mikulas on Facebook
- Follow Adaleigh Rowe on Facebook, Tyler Hall on Facebook and Twitter and Barrett Phillips on Facebook and Twitter
In the event of widespread power outages, you can listen to us on the radio on the following stations:
- Q93 – 93.1FM
- KRRV – 100.3 FM
- KZMZ – 96.9 FM
- KISS – 98.7 FM
- KSYL – 970 AM/104.9 FM
- ESPN – 94.7 FM
- MAGIC – 100.9 FM
Click here to report a typo.
Copyright 2020 KALB. All rights reserved.