Advertisement

Christopher Nolan calls Warner’s streaming plan ‘a mess’

Director Christopher Nolan
Director Christopher Nolan(Arthur Mola / Invision / AP)
Published: Dec. 8, 2020 at 9:06 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

(AP) - Christopher Nolan, one of Warner Bros.’ most important filmmakers, has come out strongly against the company’s decision to send all of its films to HBO Max in 2021.

The “Tenet” filmmaker tells The Associated Press Monday that it’s not a good business decision and criticized how the company handled it.

“It’s a unilateral decision that the studio took. They didn’t even tell the people involved,” Nolan said. “You have these great filmmakers who worked with passion and diligence for years on projects that are intended to be feature films with fantastic movie stars. And they’ve all now been told that they’re a loss-leader for a fledgling streaming service.”

The company announced last week that its 2021 film slate, including the new “Matrix” movie, “Dune” and “In the Heights” would debut on its streaming service and in theaters simultaneously in the U.S. That rattled Hollywood and resulting in doomsday predictions about the future of movie theaters.

The studio declined to comment.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.