APD releases more information on Culpepper Road house fire

ALEXANDRIA, La. (APD) - Sergeant Keith Mouliere of APD was patrolling the Culpepper Road area on February 10 when he witnessed a house fire.

After notifying dispatch of the fire, he found a man who had just escaped the house who informed him there were still people inside. Sgt. Mouliere ran to the side of the house where he pulled a woman through the window of the burning building. He then requested additional units to help with another victim still inside.

Several other officers arrived and tried to breach the door, but it was obstructed from inside the home.

The Alexandria Fire Department then arrived and immediately began attempting to extinguish the fire.

The woman was brought out to the street to wait for an ambulance to arrive. Several officers continued to try to get into the house until AFD firefighters told them to stand down until the blaze was extinguished. Once the fire was put out, a male subject was found deceased inside the home.

"It is in an emergency or a crisis like this that you see heroes reveal themselves," said Chief Jerrod King. "When I was told that Sgt. Mouliere had risked his life and injured himself to save someone else, I was proud, but I wasn't surprised. Keith has been an exemplary officer for more than 20 years, and he's been an inspiration that younger officers can look up to. Anyone who has worked with him can attest to his bravery, dedication, selflessness, and professionalism.

"I also want to give credit to Lieutenant Rachal and everyone on Patrol Shift Delta, who continued fighting to get into that house until they had to be pulled back from it. Officer Shinhoster, Sergeant Beaman, Officer Francis, Sergeant Laborde, Corporal Powell, Corporal Collins, Officer Rachal, Corporal Fruge; these are some of the brave men and women who work your streets and neighborhoods. I'm inspired by them every day to work harder, and to always strive to be the best law enforcement officers we can be."

AFD Fire Investigators and APD Crime Scene Investigators responded to the scene. Sgt. Mouliere was transported to a local hospital for treatment, as were the man and woman who had been inside when the fire began. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined and the investigation continues. Further information will be released as it becomes available.

For the original story, see the Related Links section of the page.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus