ALEXANDRIA, La. (KALB) - With temperatures in Louisiana predicted to go below freezing this week, the Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office is urging home owners to be safe when it comes to heating their homes.
Home heating safety tips from NFPA.
The top safe-heating tips the SFM is offering families, which can also be found in a video on their agency’s social media sites, include:
• Place space heaters 3-5 feet from combustible objects like blankets
• Plug all heating appliances directly into wall outlets, not power strips or extension cords
• Do not use stoves or ovens to heat homes
• Don’t overfill fireplaces/wood burning stoves
• Do not leave candles/open flames (or space heaters) left unattended
• Have working smoke alarms in your home!
The SFM’s Operation Save-A-Life program partners with local fire departments and districts to provide FREE smoke alarm installations, at any time of the year, for families in need of assistance accessing the critical emergency-alert equipment.
In addition to having working smoke alarms, the SFM also emphasizes the importance of having planned and practiced escape routes for your home that include knowing two ways out of every room.
To register for a free smoke alarm, or learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit lasfm.org.