Alexandria man arrested in battery, homicide investigations

Terry Williams, 32. Source: APD
Terry Williams, 32. Source: APD(KALB)
Published: Nov. 24, 2018 at 4:16 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A man is behind bars in Alexandria for allegedly battering a woman and killing another man.

On Friday evening, around 6:30, Alexandria Police Department officers responded to a battery call at a home on Beatrice Street. Responding officers contacted a woman who was covered in blood, who said she had been attacked nearby at another home on the street, and multiple people were present at the time.

The victim was hit multiple times with the handle from an ax, as well as with a gun, causing lacerations to her head. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment, and detectives were called to the scene to continue the investigation.

On Saturday morning, around 1:30 a.m., officers responded to a vacant house on Van Street to a report of a man who was shot. Responding officers found a male victim under the vacant house who was shot multiple times.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and later died during surgery.

During the investigation, detectives determined that the male victim was one of the people who was present at the Beatrice Street residence where the battery happened. It was eventually determined that the suspect fled the scene following the battery, but returned to the house around 8 or 9 p.m.

At that time, he forced another male subject at gunpoint to go with him and they left the house together. While they were gone, they may have broken into one or more houses. The male who was forced to leave at gunpoint was the same male who was found shot on Van Street.

Detectives identified the suspect as Terry Williams, 32, of Alexandria, and obtained a warrant for his arrest for aggravated second degree battery for the incident on Beatrice Street, and a separate warrant for aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder for the incident on Van Street.

Williams was spotted a short time later at a business on Masonic Drive. Williams tried to run from police, but was captured on Dennis Street. He had a gun in possession at the time.

"This is incredible police work, and I want to commend all of the officers who were involved in the identification and apprehension of this suspect," said Chief Jerrod King. "In less than 19 hours, detectives linked these cases and identified Terry Williams, and shortly after that, teamwork between them, patrol officers and community police officers led to Williams' swift capture with no further injuries.

"I want to recognize the lead detective on both of these cases, Detective Butler, and his supervisor, Sergeant Distefano, for their hard work identifying Williams as the suspect. I also want to recognize Patrol Shift-Alpha and Corporal Besson, and Community Police's Corporal Baker for their efforts in Williams' quick capture. These officers, along with dozens of others throughout the department, set a standard of integrity and hard work that I'm proud to lead and to be a part of, and I hope that our citizens share that pride."

Williams is being booked into the Rapides Parish Detention Center. The victims are not being identified at this time. The investigations are ongoing, and more details may be available at a later date.