Army seeking to hire security guards at Fort Polk
The Department of the Army at Fort Polk is seeking to hire multiple security guards for the installation’s access control points (gates).
Veterans of the armed forces have preference, however, positions will be available to the general public after all means of hiring veterans are exhausted.
“This is a great opportunity for employment with the federal government,” said Chief of Guards James Coker, Directorate of Emergency Services at Fort Polk. “The salary and benefits are great, but most important, it’s an opportunity to help protect Fort Polk and serve our nation,” he said.
The 30-odd positions are graded GS 6 with an annual salary of $37,843 to $49,200. These are permanent, full-time positions.
Job responsibilities include:
- Check identification and vehicles to ensure only authorized personnel are allowed access to the installation;
- Advise visitors to assist them in compliance with security procedures and requirements
- Conduct inspections of vehicles, personnel or buildings to ensure compliance with regulations;
- Inspect items such as containers, personal property or vehicle documents to ensure compliance with security policies and procedures;
- Deny access to unauthorized personnel in accordance with standard operating procedures.
There are conditions of employment including a two-year probationary period, standard for many government positions, and proficiency in the use of assigned firearms and weapons. After initial qualification, semi-annual qualification is required. Shift work is required with fluctuating duty hours including evenings, weekend and holidays.
You must apply for this position through USAJOBS. If you don’t have an account, you can create one by
You can access full details of the job announcement there, too. Plug Security Guard, Department of the Army, Army Installation Management Command in to the search bar. Choose Fort Polk as your location.
For more information call Chief James Coker at (337) 531-1159.