Chris Few's ex, Megan Dixon, testifies for defense in court

Megan Dixon, Chris Few's ex-girlfriend, finished testifying in the Derrick Stafford trial in...
Megan Dixon, Chris Few's ex-girlfriend, finished testifying in the Derrick Stafford trial in Marksville (KALB)(KALB)
Published: Mar. 23, 2017 at 10:56 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

On Thursday, the defense began their arguments in Marksville for the trial of Derrick Stafford - one of the two deputy Ward 2 city marshals accused of the murder of 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis and the attempted murder of his father Chris Few in November 2015.

Megan Dixon, Chris Few's ex-girlfriend, testified on the fourth day of the trial.

Dixon was lead into court in a red jumpsuit and shackles. She's serving time right now, but we didn't learn in court what exactly for.

Dixon talked about the night she and Few went to TJ's lounge and how Few got jealous that she was dancing with a bartender.

She said he threw his pool stick, so she said she told him she was leaving with her uncle's girlfriend.

Dixon said there was no altercation. Later she pulled up to her aunt's house where Jeremy was staying and saw Few pick him up. But, she kept driving.

That's when they both came to the same red light and her passengers told her he got out of the car and was walking toward them.

She said Few tried to get her out of the car, but she drove around him. Shortly after, she heard sirens and saw Greenhouse's unit try to pull him over, but he wouldn't stop. So, she drove off because her passengers didn't want to stop for him.

Dixon said she actually drove to the casino after that and didn't hear that the two were shot until the morning after.


A few Marksville Police officers then disputed claims that Stafford used excessive force in prior arrests.

Those officers talked specifically about a July 4th parade where a man was drive-stunned and then pepper sprayed by Stafford.

The man said he had dropped his keys near the scene of a large fight at the parade, and when he attempted to retrieve his keys, he said officers jumped him.

But the officers said he was told to leave the scene multiple times and they didn't know he wanted his keys. They said he was yelling.

One officer tried to arrest the man, but he said man was fighting him off and wouldn't comply. He drive stunned him but the man still wouldn't comply. Then, the officer said Stafford pepper sprayed him and then the guy complied. That guy was eventually convicted of a misdemeanor charge.


UPDATE (around 2:30 p.m.)

A motion for a mistrial just made by the defense was denied by Judge Bennett.

The defense called former Marksville PD Chief Ellis Walker (2010 - 2013) to testify. Walker said Stafford's evaluations "were above average."

Walker said that people that "(Stafford) arrested made complaints." But, "that's normal." Stafford was cleared by internal investigations.

He called Stafford a "good person" and said he always complied with orders. The defense then tendered Walker to the state.

John Sinquefield got up and asked if Derrick Stafford was ever suspended from Marksville PD. The defense objects and the jury moved out.

The defense tried arguing that the suspension is not relevant to the case. The state said the defense "opened the door."

Judge Bennett then said if a witness is allowed to "open the door to good character," they can "open the door to bad character."

The jury was then allowed back in. Walker testified that Stafford was indicted in 2011 for two counts of aggravated rape in Rapides Parish. Because of rape allegations, he was suspended for seven months while it went to court. The defense jumped up and called for a mistrial.

The jury was moved out again. Defense attorney Chris Lacour said, "There is no way jury can be fair and impartial" with that testimony.

Jonathan Goins put his head down as Judge Bennett said that the mistrial was DENIED, citing the character door opening from before.

The jury was let back in. Walker testified on re-direct from defense that the rape charges were nolle prossed (dismissed) and he rejoined force.

Cathy Mardis, Jeremy Mardis' grandmother, cried with relief as Judge Bennett allowed the trial to go on.

Brooke Buford called the Rapides Parish Clerk of Court. The Rapides ADA who dismissed the charges was former ADA Monique Metoyer.


Angelo Piazza took the stand next. He defended Stafford during those 2011 rape allegations. He said no DNA evidence ever proved he raped anyone.

Around 4 p.m., testimony ended for the Derrick Stafford trial on Thursday. Two expert witnesses are expected on Friday, then deliberations.

We will continue to update this story as new information comes in. Check the Related Links sections of the page for notes from the previous days of the trial.