Cleco recognizes National Electrical Safety Month
May is National Electrical Safety month and Cleco is reminding customers about the importance of electrical safety.
“Each year, Cleco uses National Electrical safety month as a platform to enforce critical safety measures our customers and employees can use to keep themselves and their families safe,” said John Melancon, Cleco general manager of corporate safety. “Electricity provides many great things, but it must always be respected.”
• Have electrical work performed by qualified electricians.
• Plug one appliance into a wall outlet at a time. Unplug small appliances when not in use.
• Avoid placing cords in places where they can be damaged or pinched by furniture, such as under rugs or across doorways.
• Minimize the use of extension cords, and never plug two extension cords together.
• Use light bulbs that correspond with the recommended wattage on the fixture. Check the sticker on the fixture to determine the maximum wattage bulb to use.
• Inspect all electrical appliances, such as vacuum cleaners, before using them to ensure they’re properly grounded.
• Cords that are frayed or damaged should be removed and replaced immediately, not spliced or taped.
• Remember that water and electricity do not mix.
For additional safety tips, visit Cleco’s website at www.cleco.com/public-safety-and-education and Facebook page at www.cleco.com/clecopower.
Cleco Corporate Holdings LLC is a regional energy holding company that conducts its business operations through its subsidiaries, Cleco Power LLC and Cleco Cajun LLC. Cleco Power is a regulated electric public utility company that owns nine generating assets with a total nameplate capacity of 3,310 MWs and serves approximately 290,000 customers in Louisiana through its retail business and supplies wholesale power in Louisiana and Mississippi. Cleco Cajun is an unregulated utility company that owns eight generating assets with a total nameplate capacity of 3,555 MWs, with contracts serving nine Louisiana cooperatives, five wholesale municipal customers and one electric utility. For more information about Cleco, visit us at www.cleco.com.