Derrick Stafford trial continues

Derrick Stafford arrives for the second day of trial (KALB)
Derrick Stafford arrives for the second day of trial (KALB)(KALB)
Published: Mar. 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Tuesday makes day two of the trial for Derrick Stafford, one of the two deputy city marshals charged with the murder of 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis and attempted murder of his father in Nov. 2015.

More state witnesses appeared in court. First was Marshal Floyd Voinche of Ward 2. He said they essentially had little policies in place, and that he relied on the part-time officers to use what training and policies they had at their full-time jobs.

Here's how it worked. Originally, deputy marshals got $50 an arrest and made $12.50 an hour. Later, they switched to a salary method and had to arrest 25 people a month to get paid.

He said he never had a complaint about Derrick Stafford. Prosecutor Matt Derbes asked about that BIG complaint on the night of November 3. Voinche said he didn't know what he was talking about. Derbes said that's the night he killed a 6-year-old.

Next to testify was deputy marshal Jason Brouilette, who was driving the unit Stafford was in.

Brouilette's testimony was inconsistent with what he originally told State Police.

In court, he said he was not in fear of his life or Chris Few that night and that he didn't see Few's vehicle hit Norris Greenhouse's.

But, in his statement to State Police, he said that he WAS fearful and that Few was using his vehicle as a weapon.

Brouilette said he drew gun, but, "I didn't see the driver (Few) with a weapon."

He was also asked about a meeting that happened after the shooting and before he talked to State Police.

That meeting was with him, Derrick Stafford, Norris Greenhouse, and Alexandria City Marshal Terrence Grines, who Greenhouse worked for full time.

Brouilette said he couldn't remember what they talked about.


After a lunch break, the trial resumed, and Chris Few, the father of 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis, testified.

Few admitted to having Xanax in his system and Aderol, but he did not have a prescription for Adderall. He also admitted to drinking.

Few said he was driving sister's KIA. Earlier in day, he and Jeremy were moving in with Few's mother because he was kicked out of a friend's house.

He talked about dropping Jeremy off and going with Megan Dixon to TJ's lounge. He said they got into an argument, but he could not remember why. She then left.

Few said he followed her in his car. "I tried to get her to come home," he said, but she would not stop. He got out at a light to convince her.

He then picked up Jeremy in the process, and shortly after saw blue lights. He said he didn't hear sirens and wasn't aware if he broke law.

Few told State Police later he thought he was speeding in an interview, but he said on the stand he doesn't remember saying that. "I knew I had a couple drinks," he said on the stand. "I could have gone to jail for DUI."

He then continued to follow Megan's van, wanting her to take Jeremy.

"I was concerned for my son's wellbeing; he had autism," Few said, also stating that Jeremy was calm.

"I remember shots being fired," he continued. "I had my hands up. I put my hands out of the window. They kept shooting."

Few said he doesn't remember crashing into Greenhouse's unit. He also said he would never hit an officer.

On Nov. 9, Few was brought out of sedation. That's the day he was told Jeremy had died and the funeral was same day. He couldn't go.

Few said he has lost his sense of smell and taste and that he's overwhelmed easier. He said he doesn't believe he did anything to warrant being shot.

The defense then cross-examined Few. Goins brought up Few being in contempt of court a few years back. He said he didn't have money to pay.

In Feb. 2015, Few was involved in a single-car crash. A trooper sent him to a hospital and he was convicted of a DWI.

Few's blood work was brought up again. He denied having meth in system on Nov. 3, saying it was Xanax and Adderall.

He said he does not remember putting the KIA in reverse, but in the Nov. 9 statement to State Police he said he did, but, "don't remember hitting."

"Only thing I heard was gunshots," Few said. "Then I heard verbal commands when they were through firing."

See the Related Links section of the page for notes from the first day of the trial.

See above for full video interviews with the Stafford defense team, Jonathan Goins and Chris LaCour, and the state prosecutors, John Sinquefield and Matt Derbes.