Furloughed federal employees can call 211 for help

ALEXANDRIA (KALB) – Central Louisiana has more federal employees than some might think.

The United Way is committed to helping community members impacted by the federal government shutdown.

Furloughed federal employees and government contractors in need of social services and individuals with questions about the availability of public benefits can call 2-1-1 to get help.

Louisiana 2-1-1 specialists can help those in need connect to food pantries, health care services, and utility and eviction prevention assistance. Callers also can receive information on mental health counseling, transportation, job training, substance use recovery services, child care, and volunteer opportunities.

Additional information about unemployment benefits for furloughed employees is available from OPM here: https://bit.ly/2sljPX8

2-1-1 is a free, confidential referral and information service that connects people from all communities to a specialist who can help find local health and human services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

For more information visit www.louisiana211.org.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus