Jussie Smollett will not return to 'Empire' for next season

Jussie Smollett | Photo Source: ABC News / MGN

LOS ANGELES, Cali. (AP) - Fox Entertainment said Jussie Smollett will not return to "Empire" in the wake of allegations by Chicago officials the actor lied about an attack.

The studio released a statement Tuesday saying "there are no plans for Smollett's character of Jamal to return to 'Empire.'" No reason was given.

Fox announced earlier Tuesday that the show had been renewed for a sixth season.

Chicago police allege Smollett paid two brothers to help him stage a January attack in which he said two masked men beat him, hurled racist and homophobic slurs at him, doused him with a chemical substance and put a rope around his neck.

Smollett maintains the attack wasn't staged. He was arrested, but prosecutors later dropped the charges.

"Empire" films each episode in Chicago.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus