Smoking iPhone clears out Apple store

(Image Source: Apple Inc. / MGN)

GENEVA (AP) - Swiss authorities say smoke from an overheating iPhone battery prompted the evacuation of some 50 staffers and customers at an Apple store in downtown Zurich. A store employee sustained minor burns and seven people received medical treatment.

Marco Bisa of the Zurich police office says store staff "responded well and correctly" by sprinkling quartz sand on the overheating battery to contain the smoke, then opening ventilation systems to release it.

Bisa said police, firefighters, several ambulances and an emergency vehicle were deployed in response to the incident in the store's workshop - not the showroom - on Tuesday.

The injured staffer sustained light injuries to the hand when the battery he was removing from the phone overheated.

Police forensic experts were examining what caused the battery to overheat.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus